Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sketches from the Sorolla Exhibit!!

Soooo, the Sorolla Exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Art was so amazing that I had to go back last Tuesday before it finished on Wednesday.  I spent the whole day there revisiting his amazing works as well as checking out other parts of the museum! Managed to fit in a few quick sketches as well so I could remember how he constructed his paintings and created a story with not only the characters but also with the way he composed and created light and used color.

Studying the way he paints faces in portraits- love the lighting in some of them! Top left is his self portrait, and bottom  left is from his piece titled "Another Marguerite!" I loved the girl's face- it was so haunting. I definitely didn't capture it since I scribbled it in 2 min before museum closing, but definitely worth looking up! 

Sketch from his social realism piece "A Sad Inheritance!" One of my favorites.  

Quick 1 minute thumbnail sketches from various paintings. 

LOVED his sketches for creating his piece of Christopher Columbus! This sketch is from the final painting. I was trying to capture his smug--ish expression...

Various sketches from some of his beach paintings.  Love the way he makes skin look so wet and tangible!!

More quick 1 minute thumbnail sketches  from his paintings, the middle being "Another Marguerite!".



No comments:

Post a Comment